Linguistics Department, Ohio University:
The English for All is a teaching program run by the Ohio University Linguistics department offers English classes to foreign exchange students from the local university or residence with English as their second languge from the Athens area. I had the privilege to teach the beginners class during the 2016 second summer session.
The English for All is a teaching program run by the Ohio University Linguistics department offers English classes to foreign exchange students from the local university or residence with English as their second languge from the Athens area. I had the privilege to teach the beginners class during the 2016 second summer session.
CLASS EXAMPLE 1
English For All – CLASS NAME: Beginners
DATE: 7/21/16
Teacher(s): Bethany Lilja
Lesson Objectives
|
1. Students will be able to master their previous lesson on time after the first 15 minutes in class
2. Students will understand the meaning of Comparatives and Superlatives by the end of class
2. Students will be able to compare objects by the end of class
|
Materials
|
Handout/Homework:
Objects brought from home to compare in class
|
Procedures
|
NOTE: the numbered titles are all bold faced. All other bold-faced words are to be written on the blackboard. Words in quotations are to be spoken by the teacher. Materials are underlined. Include the time allotted for each activity.
1. Warm Up
(Time allotted: 10 mins )
Objective: Students work on their descriptions while also reviewing some vocabulary words
Procedure: Class will play “I Spy…”
The teacher will bring up this website:
And the teacher will explain how I Spy is played, they will start the audio on the game so the students will understand what to look for while hearing another person’s voice for a different example of english. Then they will start playing I Spy while using past vocabulary words. Each student will then pick an object to find.
Transition: “That was fun, now we will take a few minutes to review yesterday's lesson.”
2. Review
(Time allotted: 5mins)
Objective: Students will review and fully understand the previous days lesson on time.
Procedure: Students will take out their homework and we will go over the questions as a class. Then the teacher will draw a large Analog clock on the board and each student will approach the board and be asked to draw the minute hand and hour hand in the right position of the time the teacher assigned them.
Transition: “Great job everyone. Now we are going to move on to our lesson today. Today we are going to describe each other.”
3. Lecture
(Time allotted: 5 mins )
Objective: Students will recognise and understand description words
Procedure: Go through the vocabulary on the handout and describe each meaning of the words.
Transition: “Alright does everyone understand? Good, now we will compare things around us.”
4. Lecture
(Time allotted: 10 mins )
Objective: Students will understand the meaning of comparisons and superlatives
Procedure: Go over each word on the worksheet and describe their definitions.
Transition: “Okay, now let’s learn how we would compare things in our everyday lives”
5. Writing
(Time allotted: 10 mins )
Objective: Students will master comparatives and superlatives
Procedure: Place all the object brought to class and ask each student to compare them. Write their sentences on the board and break them down to show them how to write a comparative sentence.
Transition:“Alright does everyone understand? Good, now we will play a game. Everyone stand up and come to the front of the class.”
6. Speaking
(Time allotted: 20 mins )
Objective: Students will master comparatives and superlatives and sentence structure by verbally describing each other
Procedure: Ask all students to stand at the front of the class and have them describe themselves on the board. Such as age and where they are from. Pick one out of all of the students and ask them to compare the other classmates. Using Age and height, do not use words like beauty and important so students won’t get offended. Then pick another student and have them do the same. Repeat that until each student has done a comparison.
Transition: “Great job everybody. We are done for today so let's go over homework.”
Conclusion
Objective: Students will master their skills they learned today, know the instructions for the homework, and know the next date of class
Procedure: The teacher will explain what to do for homework and then conclude class by writing the date of the next class on the board.
|
Assessment
|
I will assign homework for the students to see if they mastered the material.
|
Anticipated Problems
|
Students may have some spelling errors on some of the vocabulary when converting some words to comparatives and superlatives.
|
Warm up activity:

Handout:
CLASS EXAMPLE 2
English For All – CLASS NAME: Beginners
DATE: 7/27
Teacher(s): Bethany Lilja
Lesson Objectives
|
1. Students will be able to identify musical instruments and different genre of music by the middle of class.
2. Students will be able to use and understand the different uses for Gerunds by the end of class
3. Students will master the previous lesson by the middle of class
|
Materials
|
Audio:
Lyrics sheet for teacher: (on computer/not to be shown to students)
Lyrics sheet for students: (printout/handed to students)
Music Vocabulary powerpoint:
Gerunds Handout:
|
Procedures
|
Note: NOTE: the numbered titles are all bold faced. All other bold-faced words are to be written on the blackboard. Words in quotations are to be spoken by the teacher. Materials are underlined. Include the time allotted for each activity.
1. Review
(Time allotted: 10 mins)
(review is first because not everyone shows up on time and the warm up will be hard to restart if they arrive late/ switch review and warm up if everyone is on time)
Objective: Students will master the previous vocabulary and grammar from the previous lesson the day before
Procedure:Teacher will go over the homework
Transition: “Good, everyone has mastered that. Now we will move onto the warm up. Does everyone in here like music?”
2. Listening Warm Up
(Time allotted: 20 mins)
Objective: Students will recognise different pronunciation and be able to recognise words from different accents
Procedure: (close the door so you don’t disturb other classes) The teacher will hand out the worksheet with the lyric songs on them. The teacher will ask the students to listen carefully to the words when the teacher plays the song. Do not show the video the song comes with on youtube, just have the students listen to the audio. The students will fill in the missing lyrics on the page based on what they hear in the song.
Transition: “Very good great job. Did you guys like the songs? Now we will go over the vocabulary next.”
3. Vocabulary Lecture
(Time allotted: 10 mins)
Objective: Students will understand the different music genres vocabulary as well as the names of different instruments
Procedure: Students will be taken through the powerpoint and learn the vocabulary
Transition: “Awesome, does everyone understand? Now we will move onto Gerunds.”
4. Grammar Lecture
(Time allotted: 20 mins )
Objective: Students will understand the different uses of Gerunds
Procedure: The teacher will hand out a rule handout and go through the different uses of gerunds on the board
Transition: “Does anyone have any questions? Everyone did great today. That’s the end of class. Have a great rest of your day. We will see everyone tomorrow on Thursday.”
Conclusion
Objective: Students will master their skills they learned today, know the instructions for the homework, and know the next date of class
Procedure: The teacher will explain what to do for homework and then conclude class by writing the date of the next class on the board.
|
Assessment
|
Students will have a discussion period in class to use the vocabulary they learned which will be assessed by the teacher. They will also be assigned homework to see if they mastered the materials of class.
|
Anticipated Problems
|
Students may not understand the verb vocabulary for gerunds. Students may not be able to hear the music due to technical problems.
|
Warm up activity:
I walked across an empty land. I knew the ________ like the back of my hand
I ________ the earth beneath my feet. Sat by the river, and it made me complete
I ________ the earth beneath my feet. Sat by the river, and it made me complete
Oh, simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old, and I need ________ to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired, and I need _________ tobegin
So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired, and I need _________ tobegin
I came across a fallen tree. I felt the branches of it ________ at me
Is this the place we used to love? Is this the place that I've been ________ of?
Is this the place we used to love? Is this the place that I've been ________ of?
Oh, simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old, and I need ________ to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired, and I need _________ to begin
So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired, and I need _________ to begin
And if you have a ________, why don't we go. Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of ________. So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know? Somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of ________. So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know? Somewhere only we know?
Oh, simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old, and I need ________ to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired, and I need _________ tobegin
So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired, and I need _________ tobegin
And if you have a ________, why don't we go. Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of ________. So why don't we go? So why don't we go?
This could be the end of ________. So why don't we go? So why don't we go?
This could be the end of ________. So why don't we go. Somewhere only we know
Somewhere only we know. Somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know. Somewhere only we know?
I don't care if Monday's ________. Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about ________. It's Friday I'm in ________
Thursday I don't care about ________. It's Friday I'm in ________
Monday you can fall ________. Tuesday, Wednesday break my ________
Thursday doesn't even ________. It's Friday I'm in ________
Thursday doesn't even ________. It's Friday I'm in ________
Saturday wait. And Sunday always comes too late. But Friday never hesitate...
I don't care if Monday's black. Tuesday, Wednesday heart attack
Thursday never ________ back. It's Friday I'm in ________
Thursday never ________ back. It's Friday I'm in ________
Monday you can hold your ________. Tuesday, Wednesday stay in ________
Or Thursday watch the walls instead. It's Friday I'm in ________
Or Thursday watch the walls instead. It's Friday I'm in ________
Saturday wait. And Sunday always comes too late. But Friday never hesitate...
Dressed up to the eyes. It's a wonderful surprise To see your shoes and your spirits rise
Throwing out your frown. And just smiling at the sound. And as sleek as a shriek
Spinning round and round. Always take a big bite. It's such a gorgeous sight
To see you eat in the middle of the night. You can never get enough
Enough of this stuff. It's Friday. I'm in ________
Throwing out your frown. And just smiling at the sound. And as sleek as a shriek
Spinning round and round. Always take a big bite. It's such a gorgeous sight
To see you eat in the middle of the night. You can never get enough
Enough of this stuff. It's Friday. I'm in ________
I don't care if Monday's ________. Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about ________. It's Friday, I'm in ________
Thursday I don't care about ________. It's Friday, I'm in ________
Monday you can fall ________. Tuesday, Wednesday break my ________
Thursday doesn't even ________. It's Friday I'm in ________
Grammar Handout:Thursday doesn't even ________. It's Friday I'm in ________
CLASS EXAMPLE 3
English For All – CLASS NAME: Beginners
DATE:7/19/16
Teacher(s): Bethany Lilja
Lesson Objectives
|
1. Students will be able to describe people's clothing by the end of class.
2. Students will be able to describe clothing articles using complete sentences by the end of class.
|
Materials
|
Articles of clothing brought to class by the teacher.
Clothing exercise worksheet:
|
Procedures
|
Note: NOTE: the numbered titles are all bold faced. All other bold-faced words are to be written on the blackboard. Words in quotations are to be spoken by the teacher. Materials are underlined. Include the time allotted for each activity.
1. Warm Up
(Time allotted: 5mins )
Objective: Students will have a better handle on pronunciation after practicing a tongue twister.
Procedure: Write Tongue twister “I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop. Where she sits she shines, and where she shines she sits.“ on board and read aloud first for whole class then have each student read the tongue twister aloud to practice pronunciation. Then have each student race each other to see who can say it the fastest.
Transition: “you guys are getting better at the tongue twisters. But now we will learn our vocabulary. Today we will talk about clothes.”
2.Vocabulary
(Time allotted: 25mins)
Objective: Students will learn the english name to each article of clothing brought to class.
Procedure:
Write numbers 1-25 on the board with enough room next to each number to write vocabulary words. Then take out each individual article of clothing one at a time in order from the worksheet and name them one by one in front of the class and write the name on the board next to the correct number. Ask the students to write each vocabulary word down in their notes.
Transition: “Alright, time to use what we just talked about.”
3. Writing
(Time allotted: 10mins )
Objective: Students will be tested on their knowledge of the vocabulary
Procedure: Pass out the clothing worksheet and instruct the students to match the vocabulary words with the correct pictures on the adjacent side of the page. This will be a review of the vocabulary they just learn so the words will become more familiar to them.
Then
4. Interactive Speaking
(Time allotted: 20mins)
Objective: Students will master todays lesson by working in groups.
Procedure: Ask students to come to the front of the class to the pile of clothes. Assign an event and season to each student and then ask them to pick out articles of clothing appropriate for that event. Then have them present to the class their event and which articles of clothing they picked.
Ex: Fatma will go to the gym to exercise, what will she wear?
Conclusion
Objective: Students will master their skills they learned today, know the instructions for the homework, and know the next date of class
Procedure: The teacher will explain what to do for homework and then conclude class by writing the date of the next class on the board.
|
Assessment
|
The students will finish the worksheet successfully and they will write concise notes
|
Anticipated Problems
|
I will have to draw or orally describe some articles of clothing on the worksheet because I am unable to bring them to class.
|
Homework:
CLASS EXAMPLE VIDEO
Handout:

The English For All Summer 2016 program was my first opportunity teaching English and I could not have enjoyed it more. At the beginning of the session I wrote out what I believed my strengths and weaknesses were. I believed I lacked of experience in the field and I needed improvement in confidence. I also had more of an easy going approach than a preparedness mentality at the start. I felt I was stronger with a more flexible attitude in class than a stricter regimen. Throughout this session I have turned that flexibility into a strength and yet I also improved on preparing more solid plans for classes. I improved on my reliability and fairness in class throughout the semester. A more specific example of my improvement was correcting my error at always talking at the board in class. I usually had no problem projecting my voice however I did struggle with talking away from the students while writing on the board at the beginning of this session. I learned through feedback and self-evaluation that talking to the board is no longer a problem. I am grateful for the opportunity and experience this practicum has given me, I have learned and honed my skills greatly through this program. I had wonderful students that were eager to learn and patient. I cannot wait for future opportunities to meet new students and teach.

The English For All Summer 2016 program was my first opportunity teaching English and I could not have enjoyed it more. At the beginning of the session I wrote out what I believed my strengths and weaknesses were. I believed I lacked of experience in the field and I needed improvement in confidence. I also had more of an easy going approach than a preparedness mentality at the start. I felt I was stronger with a more flexible attitude in class than a stricter regimen. Throughout this session I have turned that flexibility into a strength and yet I also improved on preparing more solid plans for classes. I improved on my reliability and fairness in class throughout the semester. A more specific example of my improvement was correcting my error at always talking at the board in class. I usually had no problem projecting my voice however I did struggle with talking away from the students while writing on the board at the beginning of this session. I learned through feedback and self-evaluation that talking to the board is no longer a problem. I am grateful for the opportunity and experience this practicum has given me, I have learned and honed my skills greatly through this program. I had wonderful students that were eager to learn and patient. I cannot wait for future opportunities to meet new students and teach.












No comments:
Post a Comment